Store Manager - Lincoln
The Mill Coffee & Tea is a coffee roaster, retail operator and online retailer headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska. Founded in 1975 and run by Duane Krepel, Dale Nordyke, and Dan Sloan, three guys who had a passion and vision for bringing the community together around coffee, The Mill is now led by husband-and-wife team, Dan and Tamara Sloan who have a deep desire to give back to the community, support and grow everyone on our team, and create coffee that is recognized for its excellence. The Mill lives by strong commitment to community by creating spaces and donating thousands each year to local groups. Today, The Mill operates four cafes in Lincoln, Nebraska and will be opening its fifth location in Omaha in early 2022. Since our founding The Mill has had a passion for quality, developing our staff around rewarding challenges, and for being the common ground for everyone to feel truly welcome. If you believe in a place that embraces our community to include all race and gender - come join The Mill team. We’re always searching for motivated people to join us in our retail cafes and at our Haymarket headquarters. We’re especially interested if you love spending as much time as possible drinking coffee, feel more at home in a coffee shop than an office, and have a passion for something greater. We welcome and encourage people who are authentic, kind, passionate and love coffee.
Our mission at The Mill Coffee and Tea is to provide exceptional products, service and value, and to do so in a way that reflects our values as a positive member of both our social and business communities.
At The Mill, our business values are a direct reflection of our personal values. We believe that honesty, integrity, respectful relationships, and productive work are essential components of a healthy and happy life. We strive to employ these traits within our business by conducting ourselves in accordance with them. We expect all members of our company to not only uphold these values in our business, but to demonstrate them at every opportunity in how they perform their work.
The Store Manager (SM) leads the Assistant Manager, Shift Leads and Baristas to deliver an exceptional coffee experience and beverage with the utmost in hospitality and kindness to every customer in our retail café. The Store Manager is fully responsible for the operations, customer, and employee experience and for providing quality coffee beverages and coffee knowledge. Your leadership will require that you act with integrity & respect, promote a safe, clean, and healthy work environment, be fiscally responsible, produce quality work, be ethical, and are passionate about coffee. We love coffee and want you to love it too.
This is a working leadership/manager position for a person who enjoys engaging with customers and staff while creating quality crafted beverages. The ideal candidate will have the ability to manage the daily operations of the cafe and complete tasks related to staff training, staff management, and customer service. They should be a confident people person and be able to share their best practices to onboard new employees. This candidate should possess strong leadership skills and be able to organize and assign duties to staff to maintain the efficient functioning of the cafe.
- Understands and upholds The Mill culture of hiring, training, developing, and retaining barista staff
- Provides an exceptional service experience to customers and expects the same from every member of the team
- Continuously develops self and staff in coffee knowledge and shares their enthusiasm with customers
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills with professional maturity
- Inspires and motivates a positive work environment for all staff
- Communicates regularly with the staff, provides positive and constructive feedback, and holds quarterly staff meetings
- Creates timely schedules taking into consideration business and employee needs
- Reviews staff timecard accuracy and submits them within the proper time frame.
- Models excellent hospitality and service.
- Acts to resolve customer concerns and is always looking for ways to make the experience better
- Monitors, coaches, and encourages barista staff to exceed the customer’s expectations through their execution of operations, processes, recipes, and knowledge
- Actively learns all products with the ability to answer questions that might come up from staff or customers.
- Keeps the cafe well stocked and cared for.
- Manages the store’s financial performance and costs to include accurate cash controls and product ordering
- Innovates to find ways to drive sales and create new customers. Monitors KPI’s always looking for areas to improve
- Ensure adherence to health and safety regulations
- Demonstrates a passion for coffee and inspires it in others
- Management experience in specialty coffee, retail, hospitality, and/or customer service industries is required
- Experience managing a profitable & operationally sound single café/restaurant preferred
- Must maintain current county-issued Food Handler Level 3 Certificate.
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing staff
- An ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Proven ability to understand and execute an organization’s goals and objectives.
- Enjoys working on a team and collaborating as a team player
- Leadership, relationship, team building, and conflict management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - both oral and written.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage competing multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience reviewing financial reports and meeting budgets.
- Able to work full time (the work regularly demands more than 40 hours per week) including variable hours including early morning, evenings, weekend, and/or holidays
- Be always available for your team by phone. In the event you are unavailable, verify that your team has an on-call contact available.
- Ability to lead change, deal with ambiguity, and prioritize the need to run a fast-paced environment
- Experience with POS touch screen, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and other computer skills.
Work Hours & Benefits :
The Mill offers paid time off and the opportunity for bonuses for full-time, permanent staff as well as a Simple IRA (Individual Retirement Account) plan, and store-wide discounts.
Typical work hours are 8-hour shifts during open hours of 6am – 11pm, working and overseeing an overall staff of 45, depending on the level of business achieved.
We will carefully review your application and respond personally to applicants that best match the qualifications for the open positions. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other applicable legally protected characteristics by federal, state or local law. The Mill Coffee & Tea is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.