Barista - Part Time
The Mill Coffee & Tea is a small-batch, craft coffee roaster with an espresso bar, tea, craft beer, cocktails, and wine houses located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Since our first store in 1975, The Mill’s mission has been to provide great food and beverages in a warm, welcoming environment.
Our mission at The Mill Coffee and Tea is to provide exceptional products, service and value, and to do so in a way that reflects our values as a positive member of both our social and business communities.
At The Mill, our business values are a direct reflection of our personal values. We believe that honesty, integrity, respectful relationships, and productive work are essential components of a healthy and happy life. We strive to employ these traits within our business by conducting ourselves in accordance with them. We expect all members of our company to not only uphold these values in our business, but to demonstrate them at every opportunity in how they perform their work.
The barista is responsible for serving all products with friendly, individualized attention to each customer. They are also responsible for educating customers about our premium coffees and teas. The barista fulfills any other duties the store manager or assistant manager assigns and represents The Mill Coffee & Tea in a professional manner.
- Operating a full-service coffee house that specializes in espresso, espresso-based drinks, brewed coffee, tea, and various other items including food, pastries, and desserts.
- Works a minimum of three shifts each week.
- Provides excellent customer service to all patrons of The Mill.
- Respects and appreciates fellow staff.
- Ensures that all customers are educated on our products and services.
- Maintains the highest quality, consistent product standards.
- Follow all Mill drink recipes and procedures.
- Develops an understanding of coffee and tea regions and the differences in flavor and blends.
- Follows The Mill’s procedures as posted on store boards, the Book of Truth, and Mill Training Manual.
- Attends training sessions and all Mill meetings as scheduled.
- Restocks shelves when necessary.
- Routinely cleans the bar area, floors, windows, grinders, tables, and takes out trash.
- Greets all customers with fast, friendly, personalized service and develops a rapport with customers by learning their names, favorite drinks, and food items.
- Responds proactively to prevent customer service situations.
- Accurately rings sales orders into cash register and counts back change to customers in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Answers customer questions regarding coffee blends, preparation, and product freshness.
- Weighs, grinds, and packs coffee per customers’ orders according to Company guidelines.
- Adheres to State and City Health Codes as they apply to The Mill.
- Actively participates in Mill activities, make menu or specials suggestions, give feedback to peers, attend Mill-related events.
- Entry level position.
- Must be available to work weekends and special events, as needed.
- Passes and maintains an active Food Servers Permit and Alcohol Seller’s Permit through the Lancaster Health Department.
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude.
- Well-organized and detail oriented.
- Required to stand, walk, talk, and hear.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move items up to 30 pounds.
- Regularly required to handle food and hot beverages.
Work Hours & Benefits
The Mill offers great pay in a fun, healthy environment, a Simple IRA (Individual Retirement Account) plan, and store-wide discounts. This is a tipped position.
Typical work hours are between 6am – 11pm, with most shifts being 6 hours in length.