Head Barista Trainer - Leavenworth
The Mill Coffee & Tea is a small-batch, craft coffee roaster with an espresso bar, tea, craft beer, cocktails, and wine houses located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Since our first store in 1975, The Mill’s mission has been to provide great food and beverages in a warm, welcoming environment.
Our mission at The Mill Coffee and Tea is to provide exceptional products, service and value, and to do so in a way that reflects our values as a positive member of both our social and business communities.
At The Mill, our business values are a direct reflection of our personal values. We believe that honesty, integrity, respectful relationships, and productive work are essential components of a healthy and happy life. We strive to employ these traits within our business by conducting ourselves in accordance with them. We expect all members of our company to not only uphold these values in our business, but to demonstrate them at every opportunity in how they perform their work.
The Barista Trainer is responsible for helping employees cultivate their skills and knowledge. The Head Barista Trainer is a support member of the front of house management staff of The Mill. They report directly to The Mill Owners and Store Manager(s). The Barista Trainer’s goal is to promote efficiency and competitive advantage by developing the skills of each staff to create drink consistency and excellence across all stores. They will demonstrate care for each trainee, so they feel supported, have a positive introduction to The Mill Culture, and are strong in their knowledge and skills.
It is important to love, be passionate about sharing your knowledge of all things coffee and helping others to improve and expand their knowledge.
- Train, support, and mentor all new employees.
- Collaborate with management and ownership to develop and maintain agreed upon drink and bar work standards.
- Keep up-to-date recipe structures in the manual used for training.
- Liaison with hiring manager and Store Managers to determine training needs and schedule training sessions.
- Plan and schedule training sessions for baristas.
- When conducting a scheduled session with trainees, always be on time and set up 15 minutes ahead of the start of the session.
- Conduct individual training sessions, group maker trainings and other coffee and tea development workshops.
- Prepare educational material such as module summaries, quizzes, and any other training tools.
- Keep attendance, training evaluations, and other records regarding applicable permits for staff.
- Conduct evaluations to identify areas of store and staff improvement.
- Monitor employee performance and response to training.
- Maintain and improve current training programs to ensure effectiveness.
- Follow The Mill training model with consistency.
- Maintain overall quality control including, but not limited to, participation in daily cuppings, checking calibration of equipment, and assessing needed repairs or upgrades to equipment.
- Use active coaching to ensure all trainees are following food safety procedures, as well as Mill drink recipes, to provide consistent, quality products.
- Ensure health codes and safety standards are followed to maintain high health standards.
- Have weekly scheduled meetings with the Mill ownership and Store Manager(s) discussing schedule, workload, training and store needs, projects, personal development, training program development, and any other events and classes.
- 2+ years barista experience preferred.
- Proficient on a computer; familiar with software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and special events.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task.
- Must have effective problem solving/decision making abilities.
- Must be able to lift to 30lbs and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
- Must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
Work Hours & Benefits:
The Mill offers paid time off and the opportunity for bonuses for full-time, permanent staff as well as a Simple IRA (Individual Retirement Account) plan, and store-wide discounts.
Typical work hours are 8am – 9pm training new staff, during their hours of availability.