Bar Manager - Leavenworth
The Mill Coffee & Tea is a small-batch, craft coffee roaster with an espresso bar, tea, craft beer, cocktails, and wine houses located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Since our first store in 1975, The Mill’s mission has been to provide great food and beverages in a warm, welcoming environment.
Our mission at The Mill Coffee and Tea is to provide exceptional products, service and value, and to do so in a way that reflects our values as a positive member of both our social and business communities.
At The Mill, our business values are a direct reflection of our personal values. We believe that honesty, integrity, respectful relationships, and productive work are essential components of a healthy and happy life. We strive to employ these traits within our business by conducting ourselves in accordance with them. We expect all members of our company to not only uphold these values in our business, but to demonstrate them at every opportunity in how they perform their work.
The Bar manager is responsible for leading all team members in the efficient and profitable operation of The Mill Coffee & Tea bar. They are responsible for managing the day-to-day bar operations, maintaining high store standards and conditions, and fostering a positive environment, which provides consistent fast, efficient, and friendly service. The bar manager creates the tone and personality of the bar by being an advocate of training, customer service, product knowledge and education, encouraging safe work practices, and a demonstrated commitment to The Mill’s policies and guidelines.
- Ensures proper team member scheduling coverage according to the needs of The Mill bar, to provide efficient and friendly, superior service, while maintaining target labor costs.
- Able to perform all POS (Point of Sale) duties, front and back of house functions including opening and closing procedures, coordinating with the owners and other management, as necessary.
- Assist in finding and testing new products and creating new and seasonal drinks through vendor relationships
- Maintains and shares accurate inventory counts with ownership weekly
- Maintains drink standards & recipes
- Tracks customer behaviors and sales
- Selects and purchases products and maintains proper inventory for the bar.
- Ensures the bar is clean and well stocked.
- When senior manager on duty, oversees staff including bartenders, kitchen, and baristas.
- Appropriately delegates duties to staff
- Oversees planning and execution for special events
- Identifies staffing, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training needs of qualified candidates.
- Facilitates on-going training and development of current staff on expectations, including cleanliness, customer service, drink standards, and product knowledge
- Keep track of staff concerns per Mill policies, identifying those exceeding or failing to meet expectations.
- Documents accidents, conducts initial investigation, and determination of root cause in the interest of maintaining a safe work environment.
- Pro-active in solving customer problems and satisfying customers in various situations.
- Consistently monitors, coaches, and encourages all team members to meet The Mill’s service standards.
- Maintains high cleanliness standards consistently throughout the store in the areas of store appearance, merchandise, and equipment.
- Ensures that all bar drink recipes and procedures are followed, maintaining the highest quality and consistent product standards.
- Ensures that all team members are educated on our products and services, by developing an understanding of our diverse types of beer, wine, and liquor products.
- Builds morale and team spirit by fostering a work environment where team members input is encouraged and valued.
- Ensures each team member has received proper training to perform as a bartender or shift supervisor efficiently.
- Continually develops team members, establishing specific performance objectives, and measuring team member performance regularly.
- Coaches and counsels team members for improved performance, documenting developmental plans, as necessary.
- 2+ years bar experience required
- Proven and accomplished supervisory experience is important
- Accomplished mixologist with knowledge of wine and beer with the ability to train others
- Must be well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task.
- It is key to have good customer and staff problem-solving skills, as well as interpersonal relationship skills.
- Strong leadership ability, organizational skills, and attention to detail are crucial.
- It is important to demonstrate excellent, consistent customer service skills that display enthusiasm and energy.
- Knowledge of food, beverage, and hospitality industries.
- Calm under pressure
- Able to maintain restraint in stressful situations.
- Ability to deescalate tense interactions.
- Judgment and creativity.
- Facility with math.
- Comfortable with hospitality and sales technology platforms, such as Bar Patrol, Cocktail Flow, and Square.
- Proficient on a computer; familiar with software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and special events.
- This position will require frequent standing and use of hands and arms.
- Must be able to lift to 30lbs and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
- Must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
Work Hours & Benefits
The Mill offers paid time off and the opportunity for bonuses for full-time, permanent staff as well as a Simple IRA (Individual Retirement Account) plan, and store-wide discounts.
Typical work hours are 2pm – 11pm, working and overseeing an overall bar trained staff of six to eight, depending on the level of business achieved.