Assistant Manager - Lincoln
The Mill Coffee & Tea is a coffee roaster, retail operator and online retailer headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska. Founded in 1975 and run by Duane Krepel, Dale Nordyke, and Dan Sloan, three guys who had a passion and vision for bringing the community together around coffee, The Mill is now led by husband-and-wife team, Dan and Tamara Sloan who have a deep desire to give back to the community, support and grow everyone on our team, and create coffee that is recognized for its excellence. The Mill lives by strong commitment to community by creating spaces and donating thousands each year to local groups. Today, The Mill operates four cafes in Lincoln, Nebraska and will be opening its fifth location in Omaha in early 2022. Since our founding The Mill has had a passion for quality, developing our staff around rewarding challenges, and for being the common ground for everyone to feel truly welcome. If you believe in a place that embraces our community to include all race and gender - come join The Mill team. We’re always searching for motivated people to join us in our retail cafes and at our Haymarket headquarters. We’re especially interested if you love spending as much time as possible drinking coffee, feel more at home in a coffee shop than an office, and have a passion for something greater. We welcome and encourage people who are authentic, kind, passionate and love coffee.
Our mission at The Mill Coffee and Tea is to provide exceptional products, service and value, and to do so in a way that reflects our values as a positive member of both our social and business communities.
At The Mill, our business values are a direct reflection of our personal values. We believe that honesty, integrity, respectful relationships, and productive work are essential components of a healthy and happy life. We strive to employ these traits within our business by conducting ourselves in accordance with them. We expect all members of our company to not only uphold these values in our business, but to demonstrate them at every opportunity in how they perform their work.
The Assistant Manager assists the Store Manager in running an efficient and profitable operation of The Mill Coffee & Tea store. They are responsible for ensuring that the store meets The Mill standards in sales, staffing, product quality, visual merchandising, and operations. The assistant manager assists the Store Manager with the goal of providing customers with excellent, quality products and fast, friendly service. This position enforces all procedures in the absence of the Store Manager and coordinates, as necessary, with management. They will be expected to have significant product knowledge and demonstrate positive, friendly, and courteous customer service, as well as be able to demonstrate a commitment to The Mill’s policies and guidelines.
- Assists in managing day-to-day operations of the store with a can-do, self-starter attitude.
- Inspires and motivates a positive internal environment.
- Ensures that all team members are educated on our products and services through on-going in-store training.
- Act as an on-duty representative for the store with both staff and customers to enforce Mill policies, circling back with upper management as needed for guidance, support, or feedback.
- Assists Store Manager in planning and executing sales promotions and maintaining a positive community image.
- Ensures that the store has sufficient products, merchandise, and supplies needed to manage an efficient store.
- Delegates duties, as necessary, to shift supervisors and baristas.
- Ensures that the store, backroom, and equipment are maintained in a safe and clean manner.
- Assists store manager in writing a weekly schedule according to labor guidelines and considers any fluctuations in sales due to holidays or local events.
- Informs the Store Manager of any operational inconsistencies, employee incidents, accidents, potential safety hazards, or any unusual or pertinent events.
- Is the Role Model for outstanding service and “owner” of the service initiative at their store.
- Pro-active in solving customer problems and satisfying customers in various situations.
- Ensures that all team members provide customers with efficient and friendly, superior service on a consistent basis.
- Monitors coaches and encourages team members to exceed the customer’s expectations through the team’s execution of operations, processes, recipes, and knowledge.
- Minimum one year retail experience, preferably with a specialty coffee store.
- Assistant management in a specialty store or food establishment preferred.
- Point of Sale and cash handling experience.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and special events
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task.
- Must have effective problem solving/decision making abilities.
- This position will require frequent standing and use of hands and arms.
- Must be able to lift to 30 lbs and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
Work Hours & Benefits :
The Mill offers paid time off and the opportunity for bonuses for full-time, permanent staff as well as a Simple IRA (Individual Retirement Account) plan, and store-wide discounts.
Typical work hours are 8-hour shifts during open hours of 6am – 11pm, working and overseeing an overall staff of 45, depending on the level of business achieved.
We will carefully review your application and respond personally to applicants that best match the qualifications for the open positions. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other applicable legally protected characteristics by federal, state or local law. The Mill Coffee & Tea is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.